In 1939, Physician's Memorial Hospital opened to provide care for the citizens of Charles County, Maryland in response to a devastating tornado. In 1963, having outgrown its location, the hospital opened its new facility on East Charles Street in downtown La Plata.
As the hospital grew and offered more services, we became a regional integrated health system and needed a name that would represent all of our system entities. In 1998 we became “Civista,” formed from the words "civic" and “vista,” to reflect both our mission of community service and our continuing goals for the future.
In 2008, Civista completed expansion of the medical center, doubling the size of the facility, and vastly increasing services and capacity. We continue our mission as a not-for-profit organization, bringing the finest in technology and personal care to Charles County and all the citizens of southern Maryland. Good Health Starts Here.
In July of 2011,
Civista Health affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System
(UMMS), becoming the first expansion of UMMS into the Washington DC area.
Good Health Starts Here