This time of year the word “stress” and “holidays” are usually uttered in the same sentence. The added pressures of gift buying, party giving, party going, and the traffic and crowds can make “grinches” of the best of us! Isn’t it a shame that what should be the best time of year is so stress filled? Civista wants to help you make your New Year’s resolution early this year—to enjoy the holiday this year by managing your stress! Here are five easy tips for helping you manage your stress this holiday season.
1. Take a hike. So often when the weather gets colder and the days get shorter we don’t think of taking a walk. But this time of year is perfect for walking. The air is clear, the sun is bright, and nothing relieves stress like walking away from it. Somehow, things do look better when you get back.
2. Take a breather. Literally. During stressful times we tend to breathe more shallow and rapid giving us less oxygen for our brains and muscles. Taking time out to breathe deeply several times a day will slow you down and clear your head.
3. Take time to help someone else. Nothing makes you appreciate what you have more than giving to someone who needs your help. There are plenty of good organizations that need your help this time of year. You’ll help yourself as well as someone else.
4. Take time to share good news. Loretta LaRoche, humorist and author of “Relax, You Only Live Once” says, “Find someone doing something right and tell them.” Your words can make someone’s day.
5. Take a look at the bright side. Remember a sense of humor can put even the most stressful situations into perspective. Susan Vass, author of Laughing Your Way to Good Health says, “In the spirit of concern for a troubled world, take care of your own mental health first. Take frequent laugh breaks throughout the day. Learn to laugh at yourself. Cultivate a sense of fun and play which carries over into all aspect of your busy life.”